How often have you heard breakfast is the most important meal of the day? It literally BREAKS the FAST from overnight. There is more evidence recently on the importance of fasting overnight for a minimum of 12 hours (for most people – again bio-individuality) How you break the fast is important too. Starting the day with a filling meal is a great way to set up for success I have always found.
When your meals contain all the macros (protein, carbs & fat) it keeps your body in homeostasis and working as a beautiful-sounding symphony. My Hash Brown Egg Muffin recipe will do just that.
There are many versions of these floating around the internet but with these, I have added root hash browns from Cascadian Farms to the bottom to form a mini crust. First, you cook the root hash browns according to the package then press them down into a muffin pan. Then cook in the oven until golden brown before adding in the egg mixture on top.
Now for the egg mixture. Get creative here! I added in spinach, mushroom, and onions that I had leftover in my freezer. You can add whatever you like! Cheese-good! Meat-good! (if you love FRIENDS like we do you will totally get that! LOL!) I went with 6 eggs (I use Vital Farms – please go for organic or local whenever possible) and got about 8 muffins. You can add more eggs or veggies to bulk up the recipe.
Wondering what to pair with them to make sure that you are satisfied through lunch? Some options that I like are avocado (good fats) make it into avocado toast – yum! Spreading hummus on top of the muffins is a great way to enjoy them too. I love to pair with fruit – berries are my go-to as they are the lowest in sugar and just taste delish. I usually eat 2 muffins but if you are not that hungry in the mornings you can have 1 since you are adding sides to the meal.
Finally, these are great for meal prep! So no excuses that you have nothing ready for breakfast. I take these to work all the time. Setting yourself up for a successful day will help you reach your health goals!
Looking to learn more on how to reach your health goals? Book your free health coaching call with me today and let’s create a plan together! Check out my services on my coaching page.
Hash Brown Egg Muffins
- 1 package root hash browns – cooked per package directions
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup mushrooms diced
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- red pepper flakes optional
- Preheat oven to 400f. Line muffin pan or spray liberally with oil. Spoon 1/4 cup cooked hash browns in to 8 of the muffin cups and press down. You may have leftover-you can make another muffin or mix Into eggs
- Cook for 15 minutes until set and a bit crispy. While thesee bake, whisk the eggs with veggies. If frozen, you can heat up the veggies in the microwave for a few seconds to thaw then mix with eggs. Add seasonings.
- Once the hash brown crusts are done, pour the egg mixture evengly into each muffin cup. Cook for 20-25 minutes until eggs are cooked through.
- Remove from oven and let cook before removing from pan.
- Keep in the fridge in and air tight container for 3-4 days or wrap and freeze Individually. To reheat, microwave for 20-30 seconds – depending on microwave.
- Pair with suggestions from above and enjoy!