Looking to switch up breakfast from waffles & eggs? (or maybe that is just me?! LOL!) When you start your day with savory nutrient-dense foods you are less likely to crave sugar throughout the day. Starting your day with veggies and complex carbs (plus some good fats) will set you up for making better food decisions the rest of the day.
In this recipe, I used cauliflower, asparagus, onion, chickpeas, spinach & purple potatoes (they just look pretty and are packed with nutrients – that’s why they are a deep purple! Dressed with lots of flavor from seasonings and fresh basil. I cooked everything in vegetable broth and whoa! So flavorful! You don’t need anything else to top it with. Well maybe a little avocado for some good fats, that’s always a good idea.
Make a batch on Sunday so you are set for breakfast for a few days. Just add to a bowl and heat up. See how you feel the rest of the day. Do you find yourself craving sugary snacks less when you start your day with nutrient-dense savory foods instead of waffles and syrup? Yes, we can still enjoy our waffles and syrup but getting in veggies first thing in the morning is a great way to start your day!
Oh and feel free to saw with other veggies you like – make it your own! Peppers, tomatoes, green beans…
Cauliflower Breakfast Hash
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped small
- 1 bumch asparagus, ends trimmed
- 3 cups chopped baby purple potatoes (or any color)
- 1 15oz can chickpeas
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- salt & pepper to taste
- In large skillet, cook onion, garlic and crushed red pepper over medium heat 3-4 minutes. Stirring at times and adding spoonfuls of broth as needed not to stick.
- Add potatoes, cauliflower, asparagus, remaining broth and turmeric. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Add chickpeas. Stir in spinach untilwilted. (if mixture seems dry you can add for broth) Stir in basil long with salt & pepper to taste. Top with remainng basil. Enjoy!