When it’s cold in Jersey, bring on soup season! Not only is it comforting but soup is always a great way to sneak in veggies. Your kids (or husband!) will never know!
Adding in mini turkey meatballs was for the boys in the house. They are the meat-eaters and I shower them with veggie meals 24/7 (bless their hearts, they eat them – well expect my teenage son – he will turn his nose and say nope and make cereal or PB&J – only after he at least tries a bite!)
This recipe is easy enough to put together during the week or make over the weekend for meal prep during the week. When shopping for turkey meat, opt for organic when possible. Most stores now have their own organic lines that are affordable. (Costco is great for this too!) To make this soup creamy, I use a light can of coconut milk in place of cream and it still comes out delish. I honestly do not cook with heavy cream at all anymore. Coconut milk does the job and has added health benefits over heavy cream.
A shortcut that I always share when making the base of soups, is to purchase fresh or frozen mirepoix blends. All the work is done for you! Carrots, onions, and celery are all chopped and ready to go. The finishing touch to this soup is the added pesto in the meatballs and then topped at the end. Trader Joe’s has a great vegan one or Gotham’s Green’s is a brand I love. To bulk it up a bit I added in chickpea pasta from Eat Banza. Any pasta will do or even an orzo is a great option.
Grab the recipe details below and start up your soup pot. This is a definite crowd-pleaser.
recipe adapted from AmbitiousKitchen
Creamy Tomato Soup with Mini Turkey Meatballs
- 1 pound ground turkey (organic If possible)
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs or almond flour
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional if you like heat)
- 2 tbsp pesto
- salt & pepper – to sprinkle In
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15oz can light coconut milk
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 package mirepox blend
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 8oz Eat Banza Pasta (or other small pasta)
- 2 cups fresh spinach (optional)
- 2 tbs pesto
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375f. Grease a large backing pan. In a large bowl mix all the turkey meatballs Ingredients together. Form Into mini meatballs and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- While the meatballs are cooking, heat oil over medium heat In a large pot. Add mirepoix and cook until soften. Then add In garlic. Cook a few minutes more. Then add In tomatoes, cioconutmilk, broth, pasta & seasonings. Stir together then add in meatballs. Bring to a boil then let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add In spinach and pesto. Taste for seasonings and adjust as needed.
- Serve & enjoy!