Yes, I am that girl who loves all things Pumpkin when it is Pumpkin Season. Usually, I make breads, muffins, and smoothies. But this year I went savory and created these chickpea pumpkin burgers. These are vegan, gluten-free, and full of plant protein. There are certain pantry staples I like to have on hand when inspiration strikes and that includes canned pumpkin and a few different beans. You could go with black beans or another white bean and I believe it will turn out just as good!
Besides the pumpkin and chickpeas, I added in Pumpkin seeds (duh, of course!) 2 spoonfuls of tomato sauce, smoked paprika, cumin, quinoa, flaxseed for some omega 3’s and garlic. Then mix it all together and form it into patties. I have an egg ring that I use to make them into nice round patties, but totally not necessary.
Next, heat oil in a medium pan to fry on each side for a few minutes. You can stop there and they will be good, but I am obsessed with my air fryer so I finish them with 5 minutes in the air fryer to crisp up a bit, again totally optional.
Pictured here naked as I want you to imagine what topping’s you will add. I ditched the bun this time and plated it with sauteed onions and mushrooms topped with avocado, but you do you!
These also freeze great – either cooked or not. I think I might crumble one into my salad next time – so many options!
Chickpea Pumpkin Burgers
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas – drained & rinsed
- 1.5 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin (not pie filling)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp flaxseed
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt & pepper
- Add chickpeas, quinoa, pumpkin seeds and garlic to a food processor. Pulse until combined but still a little chunky. Don't overprocess.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and add remaining ingredients.
- Put bowl in fridge for 20 minutes to firm up – it will be easier to handle
- Then form into 6 patties. Heat oil in pan over medium heat.
- Cook each side 5-7 minutes until brown and firm to flip. Flip gently as they are soft.
- Optional to add to air fryer after the pan fry at 400f for 5 minutes.
- Store in the fridge for 3 days or freeze for 3 months.