I can’t seem to stop making bite-sized snacks at the moment! Filled with so many yummy ingredients that keep you satisfied until your next meal. I like to pair with fruit if I need a hardy snack to hold me over. Great for on the go, lunch boxes, office snack, 3pm pick me up, post workout….you get the idea!
I have introduced you to other bite-sized treats like my Chocolate Energy Balls, Vegan Carrot Energy Bites and Pumpkin Energy Bites so why not add another one to the family? These balls come simply to make with ingredients you may already have on hand if you bake with my recipes often. Plus, you could easily get all of them from Trader Joe’s too! I like to use their old-fashioned gluten-free oats for all my recipes. These are great to have on hand and not just for this recipe but for many others.
What you will need….
What else you can find in this recipe are unsweetened coconut flakes, nut butter (can sub seed butter) flax meal, hemp seeds, honey (can sub maple syrup), chocolate chips (can sub cacao nibs too!) vanilla, and a touch of salt to bring out all the yummy flavors.
I also like to add a tsp of water into the mix to help everything stick together well. It may be just me but they tend to fall apart for me and I don’t want to add more ingredients to drive up the calories so I tested with water and voila! It worked beautifully! AND the best thing about this recipe is that you can mix up and use what you like – cater it to your liking, or your kids, family, friends whoever!
So many options…..
Think, raisins, dried fruit, pumpkin seeds, pumpkin (def using that in the Fall!) Possibilities are endless but be sure to keep it simple so they don’t become too calorie-dense. I got about 20 balls from this batch but it all depends on how big you make them. These should be kept in the fridge as you consume them. It’s been over a week and we are still enjoying them. Oh, you can even add in protein powder! See, endless possibilities!
My Fit Life Energy Bites
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup nut butter of choice
- 1 tbsp flax seeds (can sub chia seeds)
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup honey or pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Sprinkle of Salt & Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp warm water (as needed when mixing)
- Place oats and coconut flakes in a blender and pulse until ground well.
- Add remaining ingredients (except for water) and blend well. May need to scrape down the sides.
- If mixture looks dry, add water to thicken. Should be able to roll into balls without falling apart.
- Roll 20 bite sized balls. Lay on baking sheet and put in fridge to firm up for 30 minutes. Then transfer to air tight container. Option to freese too!