Easy Summer Salads are always the best! My farro salad is easy to make and no reheating required to eat. If you are not familiar with Farro it is a nutty grain originating from Italy that is packed with protein & fiber. A great sub for quinoa which is not always my favorite grain to eat. Farro is so versatile grain that you can literally pair it with anything! Here I have it dressed with a yummy Gremolata Lemon Olive oil from Patricia & Paul – a local olive oil & balsamic place located by me in Westfield, NJ.
When I visited the store last, I always grab my usual lemon olive oil. Then I was introduced to their Gremolata version and whoa! Taste bud explosion! Yup, found my new olive oil and it is literally the only dressing I have in this recipe, and trust me, it’s all you need!
Ingredients I used;
Steamed Spinach (you can keep raw)
Sautéed Red Onions (I like them soft and caramelized but you can keep them raw)
Diced Cucumber (1/2 cup)
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
Salt & Pepper to taste
Option to add goat or feta cheese too!
Pairs nicely as a side dish or can stand all on its own for lunch/dinner. Great for BBQ season too as it can be served at room temperature. Like most of my recipes, you can get creative and swap for different veggies, nut and seeds or leave out for allergies.
Farro Salad With Spinach & Walnuts
- 1 cup dry farro
- 1/2 cucumber chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsely
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 tsp olive oil
Dressing (if you don't have Gremolata Oil)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lempn juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook farro according to package directions
- While farro is cooking, sautee chopped red onion in 1 tsp olive oil over medium heat until soft. Option to throw in spinach at the end to wilt. (can keep both ingredients raw)
- Once farro has cooled, add remainng ingredients in a large bowl awith farro and mix well.
- Mix dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Drizzle salad mixture with dressing and serve immediatley or keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.