I love soup season and creamy soups are my fave! While I can tolerate dairy I use it sparingly so creating creamy soups can be challenging! My go to’s are coconut milk and in this recipe….CASHEWS!
Frozen mirepoix blend is a staple of mine. It consists of carrots, onions, and celery already chopped small and ready to use. These are great for soups, stews, and even meatloaves.
The cashews do need to be soaked first. Overnight is best but if you forget (like me lol!) you can soak them in boiling hot water for 20 minutes then drain. Once soaked and soft transfer them to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Add more of the soaked water as necessary if too thick.
Other than the blender, this is a one-pot meal! You can blend the soup with an immersion blender right in the pot or pour it back into your high-speed blender – either way, works! Freezer friendly or keep in the fridge for a few days to enjoy as lunch or dinner!
Creamy Vegan Broccoli Soup
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked overnight or see notes above
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 36oz vegetable broth
- 1 frozen mirepoix package
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 large head broccoli, chopped finely
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp pepper (to taste)
- fresh parsley – optional
- Drain soaked cashews and transfer to a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth adding water as needed.
- In a large pot over medium heat, sautee 2 tbs broth with mirepoix blend. Once softened, add garlic and more broth as needed not to burn, sautee a few minutes.
- Add in remaining broth and cashew mixture and mix well. Add in broccoli and seasonings mix well together. Cook 15-20 minutes until soup thickens.
- Once thickened, remove from heat and blend well to combine and creamy consistency.
- Serve warm with fresh parsley on top. Option for freshly grated parm cheese (not vegan) or nutritional yeast. Season to taste.
- Keep in the fridge for 3-4 days or freeze for up to 6 months.