When the cooler weather hits I love making big batches of soup. There are so many ways to make soup from vegetable-based to chicken noodle, or hearty stews. They are warming, healthy and great for meal prep especially during the cooler months when you want to just stay in and hibernate (or is that just me?! LOL!)
You can find several soup recipes on my blog from Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash, Healing Crockpot Vegetable Soup, or Pasta Fagioli Soup. These recipes are a great way to get in those extra veggies and healing properties. Especially at a time of the year when our bodies need it the most. The chicken broth alone has healing properties from iron, zinc, collagen, vitamins A&K and helps fight inflammation in the body.
Read The Ingredients!
Since this is a vegan recipe we are using vegetable broth here which still contains trace amounts of vitamins. My main concern with broths is the sodium count. Please be mindful when choosing your broth. Look for the sodium count to be 140mg or LESS per serving. Read the ingredients and make sure there are no fillers or preservatives in them either. We want to nourish our bodies not hurt them!
Onto The Soup!
Since this is a carrot soup let’s start with the 1lb of carrots peeled and diced along with 3 peeled and chopped apples. I chose Fuji but any apple that you like will work, try to stick with a tart one to balance the flavors. Not a lot of seasoning is needed here besides salt and pepper and I am thinking now that a little toasted fresh rosemary to top it might work!
What I like to call my secret ingredient is the coconut milk (from a can) that gives this soup it’s creamy finish (and keeps it vegan) Feel free to swirl in more at each bowlful as I like to do. This recipe is great for meal prep as it can keep in the fridge for a few days or freeze a batch for those snow days when you are homebound. Brrr…..
Did you try this recipe? Be sure to share with me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest when you make your batch! I love to see your creations! Check out my homepage for more simple healthy recipes!
Vegan Carrot & Apple Soup
- 1 lb. carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 apples peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tbs garlic, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (from can) more at topping if desired
- 1 tsp each salt & pepper
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary toasted and chopped for topping
- Preheat oven to 400F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, add chopped carrots & apples, toss with 1 tbs olive oil and S&P.
- Roast about 20 minutes, mixing halfway through. Should be fork tender.
- Heat remaining 1 tbs in a large stockpot with garlic and onion; cook until tender (watch not to burn)
- Add in roasted vegetables and cover with vegetable broth. Cook on low heat about 15-20 minutes. Add in coconut milk.
- Either use an immersion blender to puree right in the pot or blend in batches, if blending let the soup cool a bit first.
- Top with more coconut milk & roasted rosemary, if desired.
- Store in the fridge for 3-5 days or freeze for 3-6 months.