Known as a Fall vegetable I have been finding these bad boys all year round! Some of the added benefits are low carb, wide range of vitamins and minerals, high fiber, low calorie and helps regulate blood sugar just to name a few! One squash was great for me and my husband for dinner plus I shared some with my son (still can’t get my daughter to try new things…sigh…)
I will admit cutting this bad boy is not easy but I found that heating it up in the microwave helps the process. A minute in the microwave and slicing was easier (and safer!) as I cut the ends and sliced it down the middle. Rubbed it down with olive oil and salt and pepper, placed it upside down on a baking sheet and baked it for about 30-40 minutes until tender. If you can start to scrape spaghetti like strands you know that you are good!
While the squash is cooking I prepared the mediterranean filling. All the superstars are here with roasted red peppers, artichokes, olives, chickpeas, sun-dried tomatoes and spinach. FYI I made a big batch of this filling so that I had leftovers for another dinner in the week- just added in cauliflower rice and dinner is set for another night. You’re Welcome!! LOL!
Once the squash is done, stuff it with the filling and sprinkle fresh herbs and feta cheese or yeast. Heat it all up again to get warm and Voila! Dinner is done! So filling and tasty too! A definite staple in this household! Meal prep tip is to roast the squash on Sunday so during the week all you have to do is assemble and heat! As always, you can get creative with your fillings! Mix it up and add your fav’s. That is beauty of healthy cooking – it is so versatile!
Don’t forget to comment and tag me in Instagram to share! I love seeing your creations!
Mediterrean Spaghetti Squash
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 large roasted red pepper chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen artichokes thawed and chopped
- 1/4 cup pitted and chopped kalamata olives
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas I used canned and rinsed. The leftovers I seasoned and roasted up to keep as a snack
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes
- 1 14 oz can no salt added chopped tomatoes
- Fresh basil & parsley chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Feta or yest optional
- Preheat oven to 400f & line baking sheet with foil, sprayed.
- Microwave squash for 1 minute for easier cutting.
- Slice off ends and then slice in half. Scoop out seeds.
- Rub inside/outside of squash with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place cut side down on baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes until fork tender.
- While cooking, prepare the remaining ingredients in a large bowl (except tomatoes)
- Once squash is done and cooled to handle, spread chopped tomatoes into squash and top with filling.
- Sprinkle with fresh herbs and additional salt & pepper, feta is desired. Put back in oven to heat through.
- Enjoy! Save any leftovers of filling for dinner another night!