To me, a meatball parm sandwich is the ultimate comfort food! We had a rainy cool week this past June in Jersey and I was craving comfort foods. At the time, we were in the middle of our Beat the Sugar Blues Challenge so my goal was to create a recipe with no added sugars, including the bread. I learned during this challenge that most bread has some form of added sugar, healthy (honey, molasses) or not which blew my mind! But what I did find was that sourdough and ciabatta bread do not!
Then my Tasty Turkey Meatball Parm sandwich was born! My problem is that I create recipes and don’t write down the ingredients right away or measure either (growing up Italian we just used enough – you just know I guess!) However, I am going to try my best to share the full recipe here with you because it was too good not to!
Basic ingredients are;
Organic Turkey Meat
1/4 cup bread crumbs
salt, pepper, fresh or dried parsley & basil
Fave sauce – I love Otamot
Shredded mozzarella cheese (I used Violife – but any high quality brand will do)
Parm cheese to sprinkle (optional)
First I saute the garlic in olive oil, then add in the onions and spinach to wilt and get fragrant. Let that cool while you prepare the turkey meatballs. In a large bowl combine turkey, egg, breadcrumbs, cooled veggies mixture, add seasonings. I even added in a little sauce to make them extra moist. Optional to sprinkle some parm cheese too! Combine well and roll into even meatballs. In a preheated oven, I cooked them at 400f for 10 minutes then popped them into the air fryer for another 10 to make them crispy, and oh my!! Total game changer! Yes, you could cook them fully in the oven for 20 minutes or maybe all in the air fryer but I felt this combo left them so tasty and moist!
While they cooked in the air fryer, I toasted the bread in the oven but not before I sprinkled them with the shredded mozzarella cheese and topped with sauce. Trust me, this works out beautifully! Once everything is done assemble and enjoy!
Tasty Turkey Meatball Parm Sandwich
- 1 1lb Package Turkey Meat (organic if possible)
- 1/4 cup Bread Crumbs
- 1 Egg
- 2 cups Fresh Spinach, chopped
- 1 Small Onion, Chopped
- 1 tsp Chopped Garlic
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp Fresh Parsley & Basil, Chopped
- 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella
- 4 Ciabatta Rolls
- 1 Jar Sauce (will not use all of it for this recipe)
- Preheat oven to 400f.
- Over medium heat in a pan, heat up olive oil then add in chopped onions, saute until fragent, Then add in garlic, sautee 1-3 minutes. Add in spinach and mix until wilted. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl combine turkey meat, bread crumbs, egg, seasonings, veggie mix, 2 tablespoons sauce, optional to sprinkle in cheese
- Roll into meatballs and place on greased baking pan
- Bake for 10 minutes. Then tranfer to air fryer at 400f for additional 10 minutes
- While meatballs are cooking in the air fryer, slice rolls in half. Brush each side with olive oil & sauce. Top with shredded mozzarella (as much as you like!) Bake at 350f for 5 minutes
- Once done, top the rolls with 2-3 meatballs and enjoy!
- Turkey Meatballs can be kept in the fridge in an air tight container for 2-3 days. Reheat in air fryer for best taste.