I mean who doesn’t love mac & cheese?! The ultimate comfort food and a childhood favorite, right? Let’s call this the grown-up vegan version (although my kids loved it!) While we all love cheese, we are trying to limit it and opting for vegan versions. However, I am not a soy fan and some vegan cheese just doesn’t taste good. However, I came across Violife and they have by far exceeded my taste bud expectations when it comes to vegan cheese!
I used a combo of their shredded cheddar and parm, but you can use whatever flavors you like. Added in broccoli (just used a frozen bag that I steamed in the microwave) and topped with a breadcrumb topping which I broiled at the end to get that crispy topping. Yum! and I used Jovilal gluten-free elbows. The whole dinner was gone – family approved! Adding this one to our dinner rotations. Easy enough for a weeknight dinner too!
*recipe adapted from Violife
Vegan Broccoli Mac & Cheese
- 1 Pack Violife Cheddar Shreds
- 1 Pack Violife Parm Shreds
- 1 Box Jovial GF Elbows
- 1 Pack frozen broccoli, cooked
- 2.5 Cups Almond Milk (or any milk)
- 1/4 Cup GF Flour (or regular)
- 3 Tbs GF Breadcrumbs (or regular)
- 3/4 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 Tbs EVOO
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Start with cooking with pasta until al dente (not cooked all the way through, should have a bite to it)
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the 2 cups of almond milk in a large pot over medium heat. Combine the remainng milk and flour together in a separate cup. Then add to the pot with salt & pepper.
- Mix until a low boil then add in the cheese. (reserve some of the parm cheese for the topping) Mix until melted (this will take a few minutes)
- Once the pasta is cooked ,add it to the pot with the melted cheese and add in cooked broccoli. Combine well.
- Put the broil feature on your oven to 450f. Mix the breadcrumbs, paprika, salt & pepper in a separate bowl. (or oven at 400f for 10-15 minutes)
- Sprinkle crumb mixture over the cheesy pasta and sprinkle the remaining parm cheese on top. Drizzle with EVOO and put the pot in the oven for 5-7 minutes. Watch so it does not burn.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a bit. Enjoy!