Huh?! No bean chili? Yes, you read that right! For the month of January, a group of awesome ladies and myself have embarked on the Whole 30 challenge! For those of you not familiar with the Whole 30 way of eating, it is an elimination diet to take out certain foods that may trigger internal issues that you might be exhibiting and not even realize!
Think bloating, inflammation, gastro issues….the list goes on my friends! The biggest culprits that are eliminated right away are dairy, grains, sugar, beans, and alcohol (that includes peanut butter as that is a legume…this was a tough one for me…but almond butter gets the green light..phew!!)
I know what you must be thinking…no way!! These are all my favorite things! I get it….me too! But I wanted to reset my diet especially after the holidays where it was sugar palooza!! I found a bunch of ladies who were interested in it as well and it is always better when you have support and motivation! I read through the Whole 30 book, learned why we need to gain a healthier relationship with food and picked several recipes to try out. With the cooler months upon us here in Jersey I am always looking for a one-pot meal that is tasty and warm like soup or chili.
No Beans in my Chili?!
When I came across this no bean turkey and sweet potato chili it was like hitting the jackpot! Super simple with minimal ingredients that I was able to whip up after work and there were enough leftovers for the next night too! Score! Just look at that yumminess! (Sorry I don’t have more pics, we all enjoyed it right away!) The sweet potatoes made it tasty and filling and I didn’t even miss the beans! Tip – you could cut up the sweet potatoes and onion on your prep day or the day before and keep them in an airtight container in the fridge to save some time. But honestly, while the turkey was browning is when I cut up the sweet potato & onion so really not much time as wasted.
Let’s get Spicy, or not!
If you prefer to use tomatoes with green chilis for a bit of a kick you can use that as well. Also, you can add more spices to increase the heat if you like it really spicy! We like it spicy but not too crazy – that is why I stuck with regular chopped tomatoes. You can pair this with my paleo style cornbread….because chili and cornbread go hand in hand and you need something to sop of all the goodness at the bottom!
Whole 30 Turkey Chili with Sweet Potato
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tsp garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb organic ground turkey or grass-fed beef
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth (or water)
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp chili powder more if desired
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- Place a large skillet over medium/high heat adding the olive oil, chopped onion, and garlic to saute for a few minutes until soft.
- Next, add in turkey and break up. Add seasonings.
- When cooked through, add in tomatoes, sweet potato, and chicken broth (or water)
- Cover and let simmer over low heat until potatoes are soft about 25-30 minutes
- Add more water if too thick
- Serve immediately and top with fave topping (sour cream, avocado, cheese)