It’s September so for me that is Pumpkin season! Time to create lots of healthy pumpkin snacks for back to school and for me too! Canned pumpkin is all around and super affordable, I usually can make 3-4 recipes from 1 can! First up, Healthy Pumpkin Muffins….
Sweetened with bananas and coconut sugar and while these are not gluten-free as I used an organic whole wheat flour that I had on hand, I am sure you can use GF flour and get the same results.
My favorite part (and last minute add on!0 is the pumpkin seed crumble baked right on top. Just mix pumpkin seeds, coconut sugar, and coconut oil – perfect topping! (totally optional!)
You can enjoy these as a snack or quick breakfast paired with fruit and/or yogurt. I know my kids are grabbing them for school and after school! Freezer friendly too! Make a big batch so you can enjoy when pumpkin season is over. I always try to make my own when I can and stay away from the packaged muffins as they contain so much sugar and scary ingredients that no one should be eating.
It’s not always easy but start small with a simple recipe (like this one!) and see how it goes. Baby steps towards living a healthier lifestyle!
Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp melted & cooled coconut oil
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt I love Siggis
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (or GF flour)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- 1 Tbsp Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
- Preheat oven 350F. Grease muffin pan.
- Mash banana in a bowl, add in pumpkin, yogurt, egg & coconut oil. Whisk well together.
- Then add in coconut sugar, honey, and vanilla. Next, add baking soda, powder, salt, flax meal, and pumpkin spice.
- Slowly fold in the flour then chocolate chips.
- Combine the crumble topping if using.
- Pour batter evenly into muffin pan then top with crumble.
- Cook 25-30 minutes. Check with toothpick to make sure done.
- Keep in the fridge in an airtight container for 5 days or wrap individually and freeze.