The classic potato salad is an American go to for BBQ’s! I mean who doesn’t love a good potato salad?! My mom always made a mean egg potato salad that was so yummy growing up – I still enjoy it at family BBQ’s too! But I wanted to lighten it a bit and omit the mayo and add in fresh herbs from our patio garden.
In place of mayo, I used grainy dijon mustard (from Trader Joes) along with green onions, celery, fresh parsley & basil from our patio garden, lemon juice, EVOO and garlic. Basically blended everything together and poured it right over the cooked potatoes. The taste was light and refreshing with a nice kick from the dijon. So yum! I think if you reserve some of the cooking water from the potatoes and add it in, you will have a creamier base. But either way, this dish will be sure to please at your next BBQ or honestly as a healthy side dish!
Make a batch and keep it in the fridge to use a few days. I have brought this dish to a few BBQ’s and always received delicious compliments! The best part is that it super easy and affordable too! Potatoes are rather inexpensive and the other ingredients you most likely have on hand!
Bring the side dish that everyone raves about and be sure to share with me on Instagram, Facebook or Pinterest as I love seeing your recreations!
Healthy Potato Salad
- 1 bag small red or multi-colored potatoes quartered
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 1 bunch fresh parsley chopped (or 2-3 tbsp dried)
- 1 bunch fresh basil chopped (or 2-3 tbsp dried)
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- After washing and quartering potatoes, place in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil then let simmer until fork tender. Drain, reserve 1/4 cup water for a creamier base.
- In a food processor add olive oil, parsley, basil, dijon, celery, onions, garlic, lemon juice, a sprinkle of salt & pepper and blend well.
- Once potatoes have cooled, pour dressing over and mix well. If you want a creamier base to add in reserved cooking water a little at a time.
- Sprinkle with additional fresh herbs and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Can cover a refrigerate before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container for a few days.
**recipe adapted from www.cookieandkate.com