Confession. The first time that I made this soup, I tried it with cauliflower. I wanted to achieve that creamy tomato soup texture but without the added cream. And if I can sneak in extra veggies, why not! While it was ok, and I ended up eating the whole batch (over time!) I wasn’t impressed with it enough to share with you. I needed to find another way to make this soup creamy and delicious!
If you have tried my Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup or my Vegan Vodka Sauce, then you know that my secret creaminess ingredient is a can of full-fat coconut milk. Smacking my head like duh…..that’s it! So this tomato soup is a spin-off of that! And all you need is;
1 can of San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 small onion diced
1 can full-fat coconut milk
1 cup vegetable stock (more if desired)
Salt & Pepper (red pepper flakes, fresh basil, oregano are all good options too)
That’s it! After sauteing the onions and garlic in a little bit of olive oil, add in the tomato paste and loosen up a bit, then add the can of tomatoes breaking them up a little (no need to go crazy since we will blend it all together). Continue with vegetable broth and let simmer for a bit. Then add in the can of coconut milk and your desired seasonings.
Simmer a bit more than blend together with an immersion blender. If you don’t have an immersion blender you can transfer the soup in batches into a blender. This will take a bit longer to do and make sure the soup is cooled first. If you don’t have an immersion blender I highly suggest getting one. It makes it so much easier to blend soups!
Top off your soup with grated parm cheese, fresh basil or parsley or crouton. Pair it with an old fashioned grilled cheese for an awesome comfort meal that will take you back to your childhood days! I think even the kids will join you!
And as always this makes for great meal prepping and planning! It’s a large batch so portion out for lunches or dinners all week. Also freezer friendly! This recipe is a winner!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to share with me on Instagram, Facebook or Pinterest so I can see your creations! Use the #myfitlife so we can find it! If you enjoyed this recipe and would like more be sure to subscribe back on my homepage!
Vegan Creamy Tomato Soup
- 1 28- oz can San Marzano Tomatoes
- 1 6- oz can tomato paste
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 2-3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup vegetable stock more if desired
- salt & pepper
- red pepper flakes fresh basil, parsley, grated parm cheese (optional toppings)
- Heat oil in a large stock pan, then add in onion and saute for a few minutes. Add in garlic, be sure not to burn.
- Add in tomato paste and break up a bit. Pour in full can of tomatoes, breaking up tomatoes with back of a wooden spoon a bit.
- Pour in vegetable stock and bring to a low boil. Then add the can of coconut milk. Stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper and any other desired seasonings (I love to use Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute)
- Remove from heat and blend with either immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender.
- Top with fresh herbs, grated parm, crouton, whatever you desire and enjoy!
- Keep in the fridge for a few days or freeze.