It’s safe to say that I have a sweet tooth and growing up there wasn’t a cupcake, donut or cookie I said no to! I think I ate a donut almost every day! You know the one with the buttercream oozing from the top?! Oh yes, that was my fav! These days my taste buds cringe at foods so sweet, funny how that happens right?!
This is why I recreate my own sweet treats. I need to still satisfy my cravings but in a healthier way so my body doesn’t hate me after. Sugar brings with it an increased risk of diabetes, heart disease, and weight gain, so no thank you! I prefer to bake with natural sugars like honey and syrup. Now, keep in mind these are still forms of sugar so moderation as always. For these chocolate pumpkin muffins, I use pure maple syrup as the sweetener (not the fake stuff either)
I like to stick with using nut flours to keep them gluten-free. Almond and coconut flour all the way! I have also been experimenting with flax eggs and so far so good! I was skeptical to try flax eggs at first as this was a new concept to me but it’s really a simple process. Just flax and water mixed together until it creates a gel-like consistency. Plus you get all the benefits of flax!
Now onto the 2-star ingredients that make this recipe so yummy are the pumpkin and chocolate! I have been in love with Hu Kitchen chocolate lately. They are probably my fav chocolate bars right now and the ingredients are super clean! You can find them in Whole Foods or Wegmans locally unless you visit their store in NYC.
Once these are baked they leave a cute little indent in the top, which I feel is great to add toppings too! Yogurt, nut butter, ice cream, more chocolate…whatever you like! I also froze extras for a later treat, just pop in the microwave and they are so gooey warm!
Be sure to share with me on Instagram or Facebook if you give them a try or leave a comment below! I love to see your creations!
Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Cupcakes
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup cacao powder
- 3 tbsp ground flax + 9 tbsp water mixed together
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup liquid coconut oil
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Hu Kitchen dark chocolate melted
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 350f and line or grease a muffin pan
- In a large bowl whisk together flax and water, let sit to gel a few minutes. Then add in vanilla, pumpkin, coconut oil, & syrup. Whisk together well.
- Mix in dry ingredients, cacao powder, almond & coconut flour, & baking powder, combine well.
- Mix in melted chocolate & chopped walnuts (add more if desired)
- Pour evenly into muffin pan (about 3/4 way)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes - check with a toothpick for doneness.
- *Remember the tops will cave in a bit*
- Can be stored in the fridge for a few days or wrap individually in the freezer.
*recipe adapted from Rachlmansfield.com