School is back in session and the abundance of snacks are too! Honestly, there are always snacks in our house though! My kids have had those infamous mini bite muffins in the past (before I realized what reading ingredients meant lol!) and of course, when they see them in the store they try to sneak them into the cart! They know I will no longer buy them but they like to mess with me!
While I have been experimenting with different back to school snacks I thought why not make my own mini muffins?! I have many recipes with full-size muffins like my Superfood Chocolate Chip Muffins, Fresh Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins, or my Healthy Banana Apple Muffins. But nothing mini?! I know these will be easier to just pop in and eat for the kids so mini’s were created!
You know I like to keep it simple, especially with baking as it is not my strength (I am just not one to follow precise recipes – with cooking you can eyeball almost anything!) So this recipe just calls for GF rolled oats (I use TJ brand), coconut flour, eggs, bananas, almond milk and maple syrup for sweetening. (You could literally get all your ingredients from Trader Joes!) And of course, I added in my secret superfoods of hemp seeds and flax – these are my secret ingredients in mainly all my baked goods!
I wanted to take advantage of the last berries of the season (before full on pumpkin mode begins!) so I went with mixed berries – I used frozen ones that I had on hand and just placed them on top. Side note, you can mix them in the batter for a more even berry flavor. But this way worked just fine too since they are mini. Made a healthy batch of 24 – could have squeezed a few more out of the batter too-just depends on how much you fill your pan.
I have them stored in an airtight container in the fridge for now, but I will separate them into mini baggies so they can take them to school. You can definitely freeze them too! Just reheat in the microwave – they are super moist from the bananas! So Yum!
Be sure to comment below or tag me on Instagram to share your creation – feel free to mix up your mix-ins too! I know pumpkin is next for these!
Healthy Mini Muffins
- 2 cups rolled oats gf
- 2 bananas ripe
- 3 organic or farm fresh eggs trust me on this one
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk regular milk is fine too
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup could sub honey
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/5 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup mixed berries
- 1 tbsp hemp and flax optional
- Preheat oven to 350f and line a mini muffin pan with liners or grease well (I used coconut oil)
- Mash bananas in a large bowl. Then add the remaining wet ingredients (eggs, milk, maple syrup, vanillWhisk well together.
- Fold in the dry ingredients and mix well together.
- Pour evenly into muffin tin and bake for 20minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before storing in airtight container in the fridge. You can sprinkle with cinnamon or almond butter too!
- Fold in the dry ingredients and berries (unless placing on top)