Just because it is not Fall doesn’t mean we stop the Pumpkin Madness! Pumpkin can be found all year round in the canned puree form. (stay away from pie filling as it contains added sugar, yuck!) Pick some up as it is a great addition to smoothies, pancakes & baked goods!
You know I like to talk about the benefits of the foods I use so with pumpkin you get dietary fiber (feel fuller longer), vitamin A (good for vision), potassium (positive effect on blood pressure) and antioxidants! Whoo! Hoo! Sign me up!
If you know me by now I like to add in superfoods whenever possible. Hemp seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds…you name it I am sneaking it in – even in my kids’ pancakes, sshh…
These energy bites are no different as they have hemp & chia seeds in them. I was out of raw pumpkin seeds but next batch they are going in for sure! Sweetened with maple syrup, hazelnut extract, and dates they are almost like a dessert!
Option to roll some in coconut flakes or even add some cacao nibs? As always, the healthy opt-in’s are endless! I love using dates to make alternative healthy energy bites or bars. Sweetened naturally they are a great addition to your pantry staples. To make dates soft for blending I cover them in warm water for about 10 minutes first – this way they break down easier. I do keep some chunks in there, but that is just my preference.
Make a batch and keep them in the fridge for a quick grab and go snack or sweet treat. I have added them to my plain yogurt this week and it was delish! They are a bit sticky from the pumpkin puree so you can grab a utensil and enjoy them or just lick the goodness off your fingers! No Judgement here!
Feel free to share with me your creations on Instagram or my Facebook page – it makes me smile!!!
Pumpkin Energy Bites
- 1/3 cup 100% pure pumpkin puree
- 1 cup pitted dates covered in warm water
- 1/2 cup raw mixed nuts of choice
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tsp hazelnut extract
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Sprinkle of sea salt
- Measure 1 cup dates and cover with warm water for 10 minutes.
- Place mixed nuts n food processor and pulse until ground finely.
- Drain dates and add to processor with remaining ingredients.
- Pour into a bowl and set in the fridge for about an hour to firm up.
- With clean hand roll into tablespoon-sized bites (sprinkle with coconut if desired)
- Keep in an air-tight container in the fridge