This recipe is versatile in that you can swap for any veggies you like! I used broccoli as it is one of my favs (plus my family loves it too) and it is a good source of iron and several vitamins, mushrooms as they are having their moment right now – I think 2018 will be the year everyone discovers mushrooms super powers! Added in roasted red peppers, seasonings and roasted them all up!
I mean just look at all the pretty colors! You know you are getting in various vitamins and nutrient dense foods (keep you fuller longer) when you see a rainbow of colors (and not artificial ones!) Let’s talk nutrient dense foods for a minute. What does this mean exactly? Well when you eat more nutrient dense foods like veggies you will feel fuller longer & with less portion sizes as well. Did you ever stop and think how easy it is to eat a big ol’ bowl of pasta but you probably couldn’t say that about a the same big ol’ bowl of broccoli?! However, with less calories and more nutrients the big ol’ bowl of broccoli will keep you fuller longer and you will avoid the infamous ‘carb crash’.
Speaking of avoiding a carb crash, for the pasta I used a red lentil pasta that I buy frequently at Trader Joes – there is an impressive 13 grams of protein in there too! You could also use zucchini noodles, sweet potato noodles or even opt for cauliflower rice – the possibilities are endless! Adding lean protein is an option as well, think chicken, shrimp, tofu if these are what you like.
|Creamy Lemony Garlic Hummus|
How will you eat your lemony hummus veggies? Comment and share to let us know!
Lemony Hummus Pasta & Veggies
- 1 package Red Lentil pasta or other alternative
- 1 medium head broccoli chopped
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper - chopped
- 3/4 cup hummus flavor of choice, I chose garlic
- 1/4 cup lemon juice for hummus
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Handful of fresh parlsey
- Reserve 1/4-1/2 cup pasta water if using pasta
- Preheat oven to 400f
- Line baking sheet with parchment or tinfoil (easier cleanup)
- Place all veggies in bowl with olive oil (drain red peppers from oil or use a tbs of the oil from the jaalong with salt & pepper to taste.
- Mix well so all veggies are coated nicely.
- Spread onto baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes - mixing halfway through.
- While veggies are roasting, cook pasta & make hummus sauce. Add hummus, lemon juice, garlic, S&P to taste and even red pepper flakes if you like in a small bowl and mix well. Once pasta is cooked thin out with reserved pasta water.
- Add cooked pasta to a bowl, top with roasted veggies and drizzle hummus sauce.
- Top with fresh parsley and any additional seasonings you like!
recipe adapted from fooduzzi