It is finally feeling like Fall in Jersey after some crazy 80 degree days in October! I do love Summer but my body craves the change of season and Fall is one of my faves! Taking advantage of the late Summer vegetables is best! Eggplant and tomatoes are easy to score this time of year and to me are warming foods that I enjoy cooking and eating.
I have other similar eggplant recipes on the blog (sweet & savory eggplant stew, healthy eggplant caponata, and eggplant bolognese) but this recipe I think is the easiest for a quick weeknight dinner. You can even cut and prep the veggies ahead of time and then just add them to the pot to cook!
Let’s Get Started!
Start with olive oil covering the bottom of your pot adding the garlic to sautee (watch not to brown). Then add in the chopped onion and mushrooms to soften a bit then add the eggplant (feel free to peel the skin, I didn’t this time but I think I will in the future).
Then I salt the eggplant to help take the bitterness out. Cover and let all the veggies soften together for a few minutes. Pour in the crushed tomatoes (I like POMI as they are lowest in sodium)
Add seasonings such as pepper, cumin, oregano, basil, parsley, and red pepper flakes. Top with freshly grated parm cheese (omit if vegan or dairy-free) and let simmer a few minutes more so they all marinate together in harmony.
Now Let’s Eat!!
There are so many options on what to serve it over. I choose red lentil spaghetti but you could go with quinoa, cauliflower rice, whole-wheat pasta, long grain rice….or by itself is hearty enough!
This recipe makes a decent size batch which makes it great for meal prep, leftovers for the next day or even freezer friendly.
Quick & Easy Eggplant Tomato Stew
- 1 medium eggplant, chopped (option to peel skin)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms (I used baby bella)
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs chopped garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp each parsley, basil, red pepper flakes, cumin
- 1/4 cup grated parm cheese (optional)
- In a large stockpot over medium heat add the olive oil and garlic to sautee (watch not to brown the garlic)
- Add in onions and mushrooms, let them sweat and soften for a few minutes then add in chopped eggplant and add salt over eggplant.
- Cover and let simmer 5-7 minutes as the eggplant softens.
- Remove cover and pour in crushed tomatoes. Mix all ingredients well. Add seasonings cover and let simmer 10-15 minutes. Taste to adjust seasonings.
- Grate fresh parm cheese right before serving. (optional)
- Can store in the fridge for a few days or freeze for up to 2 months. Server over pasta or other grains.